Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Eating Healthy for Your Brain

Even though the brain is only 2 or 3% of our bodies, it uses 20% of the calories we take in. It doesn't take long to realize that "we are what we eat' and also take into our bodies in the liquid form. It took me a while to realize that I was gluten intolerant and even longer to rid my diet of cow milk and sugar. I now eat "like a gorilla' with healthy greens, beans, nuts, various other vegetables, and rice, corn and oats. I drink nothing but filtered water and decaffeinated green tea. This all seems extreme but when eating really whole, healthy food, my body just wants more of the same.  One recipe that got me over the hump with sugar is from Katie Chocolate-covered blog. I will post it for you:
Oatmeal Larbars
6 T quick oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 t vanilla

Pulverize the oats first in a food processor. Add the raisins, nuts and vanilla and continue to process until chopped very tiny. Remove from the food processor and press together. Refigerate for a few hours and then cut into bars.
Another practice that got me over the hump with sugar is to put bananas in the freezer and add them to almond milk with carrot juice. This way it covers up the heavy taste of carrots and seems like a sweet milkshake.

Brain health is certainly important so ask yourself if feeding your brain is critical to you. I hope this helps you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment